Friday, January 25, 2008

TV: Monk

Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk“Here’s what happened…”

That’s how it ends with Monk, the USA Network television show starring Tony Shalhoub. The obsessive detective nearly always solves the case (He has not yet solved the case of his beloved wife’s murder and doubts himself in “Mr. Monk and the Wrong Man.”)

While all the characters are driven crazy by the quirky, yet brilliant detective, I am thoroughly entertained. I’m not the only one as Monk has received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and awards since its debut in 2002. If you haven’t seen the show you should tune in at least once and you have two opportunities to do so, in the winter and in the summer. Each season is divided into halves, saving me from summer television boredom.

I wanted to list a few of my favorite episodes, but my list continued to grow with each episode summary I read. I can say that my favorites seem to be from this season, six, and that I have to put out there how much glee I had when hearing Randy Newman’s “It’s a Jungle Out There” rapped by Snoop.

I won’t get into the discussions about the music change after season one or the assistant change near the end of season three. Instead I will suggest you read about Monk at Wiki or read the episode guides at tv.com. When you’ve watched an episode sit back and laugh, like I do, reading the funny quotes from the show.

“It’s a gift…and a curse.”

Picture from USA Network

*Update* June 16, 2008
Back in April, I heard of Stanley Kamel's passing. He played the part of Monk's therapist so convincingly. The episode in which he came back from vacation to see Monk at his residence, and he told the driver to keep going, had me laughing up a storm. He will be missed. USA plans to have Monk see a new therapist played by Hector Elizondo. Thus summer episodes premiere on July 18, 2008.

No comments: