Monday, January 28, 2008

Books: Graeme Base

I own a lot of books. I’d say half of the books are adult and half are children’s. My little library has threatened to take over B’s little collection of science fiction. One book that I fell in love with while I was in college was Graeme Base’s The Eleventh Hour.

The illustrations alone were mesmerizing, but add to that a mystery and ciphers and the book had me completely captivated. Base included drawings of wonderful architecture, furniture, and bits from places I’ve never been. I LOVE codes! It was such fun trying to figure out the mystery although I lost a few hours of my life. I can’t wait to share my glee with A and then M when they are old enough to complete the ciphers with me.

A and M are old enough for Animalia, another of Base’s books. It is the penultimate alphabet book. Every time we open its pages we find new pictures and new words.

Base also has a penchant for the environment which can be seen in at least two other books, The Sign of the Seahorse and Uno’s Garden. Both books are wonderfully illustrated and filled with tiny hidden things to think about. A has enjoyed both books and frequently pulls them off the shelf without my knowledge.

As an adult I shouldn’t be interested in children’s books, but how could you not when there are authors like Base. Next time you are in a bookstore check it out.

No comments: