Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Books: Cookbook - Short & Sweet

Yes, the holidays are over and many of us have made a New Year's resolution to lose weight. While I'm one of those who should have made that resolution, I have not. So I feel completely without guilt when I suggest the following book: Short & Sweet by Melanie Barnard.

You know that one of my categories is Chocolate, so it should come as no surprise that a book about desserts would be high on my list of recommendations. This is no ordinary cookbook. Barnard created quite a few desserts that can be made (after prep time) in less than 30 minutes and using seven or fewer ingredients. My favorite so far is the Warm Mocha Truffle Cake. Believe me it tastes as good as it sounds.

Barnard packs some info in the front of the book about ingredients, such as where you can find some of them or how to substitute. That was a plus for me because she uses some liquors and I'm not into alcohol. There is a section about what to keep in your pantry so you can make one of her quick desserts when you're under pressure.

A few of her other recipes I've tried:
Raspberry Lemon Layer Cake
Country Apple Tart
Black-Bottom Berry Tart


I heard that! I do love the chocolate recipes, but apparently the family thinks chocolate is too rich. Yeah, I don't know what to do with them either.

No comments: