Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chocolate: Silk

Both of my parents are lactose intolerant. I have been unable to drink a glass of milk since second grade. I never thought that I was intolerant because my only symptom was tossing my cookies, and it only happened when I drank plain milk. I seem to be able to handle chocolate milk better and have never had much problem with other milk products such as yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

Lately cheese has become a problem. I have this dreaded feeling that at some point I will be as intolerant as my parents. I hope A & M have a better chance than I when they get older. B LOVES milk and has never had a problem with it.

Carton of Chocolate Silk SoymilkI've been longing to try soymilk, but have been afraid that I wouldn't like the taste. It costs the same amount as a gallon of gas, so I didn't want to waste it. In the end I went for it and bought Silk Chocolate Soymilk, and I kinda like it. I have no problem with drinking it. I just have a slight problem with the chocolate taste. It is a little watery with an "empty" taste that is hard to describe. It isn't quite that sweet either. I'm not left with the feeling like I really just had chocolate milk.

Jamba Juice LogoWell, it joined about 4 scoops of ice cream, 1/4 cup peanut butter, a banana, a tablespoon of Ghirardelli chocolate powder, and a dash of vanilla for a really good smoothie. I was sort of copying a chocolate moo'd from one of my favorite places, Jamba Juice. Of course, mine was nothing like theirs but it was good. I'll probably buy Silk again to make more shakes.

No comments: