Tuesday, October 21, 2008

TV: Ghost Whisperer

Ghost WhispererLet's start off the next set of TV posts with my thoughts on the premieres. Ghost Whisperer started it's new season on October 3. Jennifer Love Hewitt plays a woman who inherited the ability to talk to the dead. She feels obligated to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother and help these earth bound souls into the light.

One the one hand, I LOVE supernatural stuff like that! It would be an awesome talent.

On the other hand, the idea that she can approach people and tell them she can see and speak to their dead loved ones (without getting doors shut in her face) is far out there. Also, Love Hewitt is too cutsie looking (You should see that woman's fan sites). She hardly looks old enough to be doing what she is. And when she tears up as she "solves" one of her cases, I see the syrup dripping from my screen. Believe it or not, it works for the overall show.

So what has me watching beyond the "I see dead people" thing? (Because, honestly that last paragraph almost had me wondering what the heck I was thinking.) There is a little mystery beyond the cases. This season her character, Melinda Gordon, has been told that her being close to the death will rub off on the people she cares about and she decided at the end of last season to try for a child (dun, dun, dun). I also like/liked the supporting characters: Aisha Tyler, Jay Mohr, and Camryn Manheim. We'll see how Jamie Kennedy measures up. Okay, it's goofy, poofy, and not like The Sixth Sense, but it is 40 minutes of fluffy entertainment (I ALWAYS record and skip the commercials.)

No comments: