Wednesday, July 23, 2008

TV: Psych

Psych OuttakeNo, I didn't want to watch it when it first premiered. B was the one that really wanted to. I thought I would hate watching it. Indeed, I do cringe everytime the characters pretend to be someone else to get the job done. But in the end, it was entertaining. I'm talking about USA Network's Psych. The show comes on after Monk and started it's third season on July 18.

I don't know why, but I worry when characters in TV shows put on ridiculous costumes to accomplish a task. I always worry what strange and horrible consequences will befall the characters. I know, I'm taking this way too seriously, but I cease to enjoy TV when I'm agonizing over what's coming next. Anyway, this show is riddled with funny costumes, made up names, and strange accents.

The main character, Shawn Spencer (James Roday), could have been a great detective like his father. His powers of observation (exaggerated for effect) have been finely honed by his dad from when he was young. However, he is quirky personified and would rather open a detective agency in which his observational skills can pass as psychic ability. He is supported by his stalwart friend, Burton Guster (Dule Hill).

The little extra takes at the end of an episode and the newer cartoon shorts aside (and they should be, I cringe more), the show is funny. It is also cool to try to figure out "who done it" just like in Murder She Wrote and similar detective series.

So you've missed the first episode of the season. USA repeats a lot. Tune in just once and see what you think.

No comments: