Saturday, July 26, 2008

Books: Update

I'm currently reading book #42.

But book #38 was The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty. I've been on a little chick lit kick lately that has brought my page count down (11,988 pages,@ book 38). Just in case you don't keep up (and that's probably nearly all of you out there) I'm trying to beat my record of reading 102 books in a summer from a few years ago. FYI, Not. Gonna. Happen. :o( I'm happy that I've been able to consume quite a few books, and it is only just over the middle of summer, but I really wish I had more time. As it stands I will likely get up to about 70.

I liked Moriarty's book. There was a bit of a mystery mixed in that was keeping me turning the pages. But there was an annoying side character, a woman who clearly has post-partum depression and hasn't a clue. Moriarty continues to keep giving clues as if we don't get it. I kept reading assuming that she had something else planned for this character and all the build up was necessary. In the end I'm thinking that it didn't need to be that descriptive. I liked everything else, including the main character.

Another chick lit I read was excrutiating. Help Wanted, Desperately by Ariel Horn. The Amazon reviewers gave it 4 1/2 stars and thought it was great while I was about to die under the mounds of drivel from the main character who was in her early twenties. And that might be the problem - I'm not in my early twenties. Seriously only read this book if you are a great fan of chick lit. When I read, and I'm engrossed, it would take acts of nature to disengage me. With this book I was distracted by my bookmark - the library receipt.

My best book news? Being able to read both Pandora's Daughter and Quicksand by Iris Johansen. Although the books center on different characters, reading Pandora first gives you a little more background on a side character in Quicksand. Holy cow! The ending had me floored and wishing its sequel was out right this very minute. Second to that would be a sequel for Pandora.

I've had a few suggestions for new reading material and most are on target, but there are a few genres I won't read. Historical fiction, (auto) biographies, and non-fiction are a few. I like to immerse myself in fantasy, and I'm still taking suggestions...

No comments: