Sunday, July 20, 2008

Miscellaneous: The Fifth Element

Willis and TuckerI have this collection of a few movies that I call my own personal "cult favorites." One of those is The Fifth Element starring Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich. It has been on cable channels this summer (and does so often) to my delight. I have two, yes two, DVD copies of the movie which don't cut out the PG-13 rated sex-ish references and foul language like TV is required to smudge out.

Fifth didn't get great reviews back in 1997, but who listens to critics anyway? This movie rocks! I laugh so hard every time I see it - even if they show it twice in a row. Willis always does a great job playing the gun-toting hero. Jovovich did a good job playing vulnerable, She-Ra, and comedianne ("chick-en"). I loved Ian Holm as the intellectual priest, and Chris Tucker as the nutty radio personality. All the actors (Gary Oldman, Lee Evans, Brion James, Julie T. Wallace - and she didn't speak!) did their parts to make the movie come together.

The writer and director is Luc Besson. Besson, besides creating a great script, also does something I've not seen in any other movie. He switches locations during the scenes and makes them connect through the dialogue. It's awesome and hilarious.

All of the "real people" critics who dislike the film just think it's stupid. I can see what they mean, but it's fun. I think Pez dispensers are cheap and non-functional. I can never get the candy into the thing nor can I get it out smoothly. It's still considered fun. If you can tolerate a few sexual references and swear words I think you should see the movie. If not, then watch the watered down version on cable. Just watch.

No comments: