Thursday, March 13, 2008

Books: "Lincoln Rhyme"

Lincoln Rhyme is the fictional character in a series of Jeffrey Deaver's. Deaver's books have that thriller killer thing that I love so much. Though, most know of this author from the movie "The Bone Collector" starring Denzel Washington (More on that later.) I have not read any of Deaver's other books which is why Rhyme's name is in my title. I particularly like the mysteries with this character in them.

Rhyme is a quadriplegic who solves mysteries from his home with the help of a female detective named Sachs. I am not a book critic and, like movies and movie critics, I notice that some things the critics don't like, us normal people do. IMHO, Deaver does a good job of putting in great twists and turns in his books. The Bone Collector (1997), The Coffin Dancer (1998), The Empty Chair (2000) and The Vanished Man (2003) are definite favorites. I read them years ago after being introduced to the author by a friend. I don't remember reading The Stone Monkey (2002) and I wasn't as fond of The Twelfth Card (2005) as I was the others. I'm dying to read The Cold Moon (2006). If you haven't heard of Deaver and you like the genre, check it out. Used book stores and libraries are the best.

Let's get back to that movie. So many books now, especially children's books, are coming out as movies. I sometimes envy those who seem to have no time for books because they aren't disappointed like I am when the movies don't live up to my vivid imagination. For the most part I can live with the movies, but I still refuse to see "The Bone Collector." My biggest gripe is that Denzel Washington is African American while Lincoln Rhyme is not. It doesn't matter to me how good an actor he is. The descriptions in the book of the main character going pale in pain just don't fit with the character on the screen. I'm not sure what the producers or directors were trying to do. It just ruins it for me.

No comments: