Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chocolate: Hydrox

Don't get me wrong. I adore Oreos. I can usually go through 10 to 15 in a sitting with a cup of milk. BUT when I was younger, I loved Hydrox, the chocolate cream sandwich cookie made by Sunshine.

I won't get into specifics, but back then I couldn't eat pork. That meant I couldn't eat Oreos. They were made with lard. That changed by the late 80's, but by then I was shunned by my peers {sniff}.

Moving on. If there were a million people out there who ate Hydrox because they were Kosher, then Oreo's switch to vegetable oils and superb marketing (and I suspect, mounds of sugar) made them cross over to the dark side. Although Hydrox cookies were "invented" first, they were pulled from the market due to declining sales in the late 90's.

Bummer. I can't even expound upon the taste, because there aren't any out there! And sadly, the last time I had one was a long time ago. According to the Internet, they won't be coming back. I collected some information from here and here. So this post, obviously quite late, is to honor and pay our respects to the deceased Hydrox.

A moment of silence, please.

Now, the chocolatey goodness that is Oreos...(stay tuned)

No comments: