Sunday, April 27, 2008

Books: Google Books

A report for college years ago was the beginning of one of my hobbies: genealogy. Over the years I have found some famous and infamous ancestors, at least in their time. I've not yet become so proficient at research that I can guide others, but I have had some wonderful discussions with others also doing research. One such conversation led to a short conference at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. No, I'm not Mormon and never intend to be, but their resources are phenomenal.

So anyway, one of the courses that day had to do with the internet (which I think I'm pretty good at navigating.) Even I learned something new - Google Books. Besides being able to find books or book information and besides being able to type in a good line from a book and have it identified, it also searches for people mentioned in books.

I thought there was no way I would find anything of interest using Google. Those famous people in my family tree couldn't possibly have been published in any book. Thank goodness I was wrong! I found a book written by a university professor who was researching people who lived in the area. It contained interviews, pictures, and excerpts from books such as yearbooks. I found my family in there, through Google Books, contacted the author, and obtained a copy.

Awesome resource!

BTW, I had to go to a store today to buy a book. I just love the way bookstores smell!

No comments: