Saturday, April 12, 2008

Books: The Book of Questions

I've gotten into looking at other people's blogs more frequently lately. I have somewhat of a dilemma when it comes to adding these "favorites" to a blogroll. Imagine that you are voting for a particular candidate and would like to feature him or her on your blog. You know that your friends don't share your affinity for the candidate or even political party. Would you blog about it anyway? Especially knowing that not many visit your blog to begin with.

I find I'm interested in a particular topic right now that would alienate many of my friends. One could say that they aren't your friends if something you like would be uncomfortable for them. But it is one thing for them to be aware and quite another to beat them over the head. The point of my blog is to see if my less controversial interests are interesting to someone else.

So to try to get to the point, a blog I visit frequently posted about morality versus love. This person is taking classes in psychology and thought the lively debate would be interesting to her readers. It made me think of a book a friend of mine bought for me published in 1989. The Book of Questions: Love & Sex. I was in the throes of young love and I bet she thought I could use some grounding.

Still available for about $6 on Amazon, the book features questions about relationships. The blogger asked her readers to respond to some of the questions she posted, and I thought it was a great idea. Here are some for you to ponder:

If you were feeling sick and miserable, would you rather be by yourself or have your partner with you? Why? (#15)

If you lost your eyesight, in what ways do you think your notions of a perfect partner would change? (#21)

When you look back on past romances, do you ever wonder what you saw in a former lover? If so, is it because you have changed or because you have grown to see the person more clearly? (#78)

If your partner had a fatal heart attack tonight, what would you most regret not having done together? When do you think you will actually get around to doing those things? (#241)

The author, Dr. Gregory Stock, also has another book with general questions. These types of questions can be very personal, so I'm not expecting a whole lot of responses. I thought I would at least post one of the questions (and maybe some of my own) each month along with my quote.

My answer to #15, if I'm sick and miserable then I want B there with me. He has an uncanny ability to make me feel better :o)

No comments: