Friday, May 1, 2009

Miscellaneous: Geek

A nerd refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.{Wiki}

A geek referes to a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc.{Wiki}

Why am I focusing on definitions of terms we used in high school? Someone called me a geek. At first I was offended. The exact sentence was "We're geeks" which included me along with him. I don't really think of myself as being like him at all really. In fact, I asked B who agreed that I'm quite into technology (way more so than my co-workers) and thus fit the definition of a geek. And the someone said it was a term of endearment, praise if you will. So I'm a reluctant geek.

B has this remote. It's loaded with buttons, hooks up with everything, and has a charger so the batteries don't go dead. It's a Harmony 720 by Logitech. A universal remote. The man tool.

I would love to get into the details of how men tend to be attached to their remotes, but I have this problem. If I'm such a geek, why can't I figure out how to used the &^%$ thing?

No comments: