Friday, May 1, 2009

Ashes

Little known fact about me. I've never been to a funeral. My first memorial service was in the last couple years. So what's your point? You ask. I have the unfortunate task of attending one this weekend for a coworker and friend. I can't describe my feelings on the whole matter. I feel scared about not doing the right thing. How am I supposed to act? What am I supposed to say? What if I don't cry? At the same time I'm incredibly sad. Someone this close to me isn't supposed to pass away. Someone who isn't supposed to go from working down the hall from me to gone in less time than it takes to create a life.

Lastly, I feel overwhelmed. Who around me is going to be next? What happens when it's a mother, father, sister, or...? What will happen when it's my turn? Will I know it's coming? Would I want to know?

Rest in peace, dear friend.

No comments: