Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chocolate: Tidbits

1. The theobromine in chocolate is poison to dogs. The amount of chocolate that is deadly to the dog is directly related to the size of the dog and how much theobromine is in the chocolate eaten. In a 20 pound dog it takes 200 ounces of white chocolate for the dog to show symptoms of poison, while it takes 2 ounces of baking chocolate to do the same.

I'm not a dog person, but this is a good reason not to have one. I leave too much chocolate laying about.

2. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest chocolate bar weighed 7,892 lb 8 oz and was made by Elah Dufour - Novi in Alessandria, Piemonte, Italy, on October 11, 2007. The longest measured 11.57 meters and was created by A. Giordano in Rivarolo, Italy (near Turin) on March 15, 2010.I ate a five pound chocolate bar once. Made by Ghirardelli, I kept chunks of the mammoth block on my person for an entire month before the thing was completely consumed.

3. Hawaii is the only U.S. state that grows cacao beans to produce chocolate.

Just another reason Hawaii is my favorite vacation destination :)

No comments: