Thursday, July 1, 2010

Books: Enchanted, Inc.

I picked up Enchanted, Inc. because it looked cool. I love books with magic! My very first impression was that it went somewhat slow - not in a good or bad way, just slow like the last Harry Potter. You know something good is supposed to happen so you just keep reading.

My second thought was that the author, Shanna Swendson, had a unique take on the magic situation. In this book the magic people spend most of their time in the big cities so they can blend in. Why would they need to do that when they have magic to disguise them? That's the unique thing. According to Swendson magic people use charms to keep people from seeing their wings and pointed ears. It works on nearly everyone because we all have a little magic in us that can get influenced. Well apparently there are people without a single magical bone in their body - they're immune to the charms - and they are so rare that they're valuable.

In this story Katie, an immune, escapes a horrible job to work for the original magic company (you'll understand if you read the book). She likes it there and they like her. I was looking for romance and while she does somewhat pursue a love interest that isn't what the book is about.

So did I like it? I would give it a 6 because it's low on the romance and the long story...until I did my Internet search. I always go online after reading a book to see what others think. Do they think the same whay I do? Turns out this is the first in a series, which explains the lack of finality with a love interest, and is being made into a movie for 2011 release!

I'm off to do more Amazon perusing on the next three books: Once Upon Stilettos, Damsel Under Stress, and Don't Hex with Texas. Hopefully you'll see me posting another review soon of the next book...

No comments: