Sunday, June 21, 2009

Books: The Sisters Grimm

The summer is here, and I'm ready to celebrate! It's time to visit the local library because I have time to read. Of course I'm going to continue to read Robb's in Death series, but I'm on the lookout for new books and authors.

On our first library visit, A and M came first. While I was there (unsuccessfully trying to help A find a book she would enjoy) I found The Fairy Tale Detectives from The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. There isn't much on Wiki for Buckley so you'll have to take a look at the book series through Amazon. I've only read the first book and read the reviews for the first two books in the series. Buckley is on his seventh book, with two more planned.

It centers around two sisters, ages 11 and 7 when the books starts, who were left as orphans. The foster parent circle the kids end up in reminded me of Series of Unfortunate Events, but that's where that similarity ends. The sisters' last chance is a woman claiming to be their grandmother. The older sister, Sabrina, doesn't believe in the woman because their father told them there was no other family. I won't spoil anything by telling you here who the old woman really is, but be warned that the reviews give it all away.

The woman and now the girls live in a town made up of fairy tale characters. For example, the mayor is Prince Charming. There is a whole back story on how this came to be, plenty more make believe, and magic. The names some of them have (What is Little Red Riding Hood's real name anyway?) is reminiscent of Harry Potter, but again the rest of the story is a little different.

Anyway, if the kiddos are looking for something to occupy time. Check it out. M, no, not A, has taken a liking to the first book and my library copy is a hefty 284 pages (It's a small sized book). I think it's interesting. I'll have to remember to update when I've read more.

No comments: