Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Books: Pants on Fire

I read Pants on Fire by Maggie Alderson and 25 pages in wished I hadn't started. Let me say that the boy sticking with the girl took the whole book and I liked that. The other characters in the book also seemed to be where they needed to be and I like that. But everything else I could have done without.

It was chick lit and focused on hipness, but the indulgence in drugs which happens quickly from the start and frequently throughout the story completely turned me off. I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I've never touched a non-prescription drug. It was so alien and uncomfortable to me.

I do not recommend this book. I wouldn't push you away from the author because there are fans of her books out there (POF got 4 stars at Amazon) and others might not get the cringe factor I experienced while reading, but I had to push myself to finish the story. Oh well.

No comments: