Friday, February 6, 2009

Books: Ink...

Cornelia Funke is the author of Inkheart, Inkspell, and the newest Inkdeath. I have a friend (BJ) who loves this series and has already seen the movie. The story is based on a man and his daughter who can read characters in and out of books. If you didn't know already, there is a movie starring Brendan Fraser. BJ has already seen the movie and is deeply into Inkdeath.

So, my opinion? While I found the first book (the only one I've read) to be imaginative and interesting, it was too slow for me. There wasn't enough action to keep me going and a lot of characters to keep track of. Although I checked Inkspell out from the library, I just couldn't get into it.

Maybe the film would hold my attention better, you say? Well, I haven't seen a good review of that either. I have this thing about books fitting well with movies. I nitpick about the details. From the trailer the characters enter the book world, but in the first book they don't. I have trouble with that. Maybe the trailers are wrong, though.

Anyway, if you like a deep book, and as BJ says, a young adult book, you might like to read the Inks. I think I'll pass.

1 comment:

jo said...

We listened to Inkheart in the car on our vacation. It was SLOW. But the farther we got into the story the more interested we got. Sky and I went and saw the movie the weekend it came out and it was really good. It did a good job of staying close to the book, but the action was faster since it's in movie form. We tried listening to Inkspell, but Brendan Fraser is the reader and his reading voice put me to sleep.
I would definitely recommend seeing the movie though.

jo