Saturday, February 21, 2009

Books: eHarlequin

I love my fluff. I know I shouldn't waste my time, but there's nothing like the whole beautiful princess meets handsome prince fluff. I started reading Harlequin Romance novels when I was in middle school (which contributed to my budding adolescence). Then, they were full of submissive young girls and dominant older Alpha males. Now, the women are strong willed and stories are filled with Beta men.

Harlequin books themselves have changed over the years as well by featuring new and different categories. Steeple Hill...wholesome Christian romance, Kimani Press...African American characters, Silhouette Nocturne...vampires, and Luna...the paranormal. These are just a few of the alternatives to the regular thriller, historical, and chick lit areas.

eHarlequin.com has what they call Online Reads - short romances online. They are meant to entice you into getting hooked on a series or author, and they put up ads for purchasing upcoming books. I usually wait until a whole story is up as they only post short story portions on certain days or weekly. They also offer writing contests and forums for amateurs. Many of my favorite writers started in romance.

I've read every Harlequin in my local library that I've wanted to read and enjoy being able to get a little fix every once in a while.

No comments: